Sunday, October 18, 2009

Training/Fundraising Update - Part V

Wow!! The last two weeks have gone by fast. I just turned in my recommitment paperwork, which means I'm more determined than ever to meet my fund raising goal and to complete the 1/2 marathon. I bought my plane ticket on Friday, so now all I have left to do is continue to work towards my fund raising goal of $2200. I'm almost halfway there and with Prudential matching gifts I'm just short about $400. I know I can do it!

Had a scary experience during rowing last Monday. It was our first night on the shell (previously we had been practicing on a pontoon-like barge). An eight person shell is very long, maybe 20 ft long and very narrow - no more than 2 ft. across. Not to mention, very heavy - probably around 250 lbs. The first time getting into a shell is challenging to say the least, but add 30 mph wind gust and it's almost impossible. Thirty minutes on the water and I was pretty much convinced that we would all drown in the dark on that lake. Nevertheless, we all made it out alive; a little wet but alive. Wednesday was awesome on the lake and we really seem to be getting timing, balance, etc. together. Here's a couple of pics of where we row...





Running was challenging due to some knee issues and I ended up taking a week off. The amazing thing is that when I got back on the treadmill I cut my time by 22 seconds per mile. That combined with the 20 seconds per mile I chopped of my prior week's time brought me down to a 13 minute mile. Probably doesn't seem like a big deal to a profession runner, but for not having run in like 11 years it's a huge accomplishment for me. I've dropped my time from a 17 minute mile the first week to a 13 minute mile eight weeks later.

Thanks to everyone who has been able to support me during my training and fund raising. I wouldn't be able to do this without you all!

Stay tuned and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment